UK Tax Discs: Where Do I Stand? | Howards Motor Group
Go Back
  • UK Tax Discs: Where Do I Stand?
  • 22 September 2014
    Facebook Icon
    Twitter Icon

    UK Tax Discs: Where Do I Stand?

    From October 1st, the paper tax disc will no longer need to be displayed on your vehicle windscreen. Are you ready? 

From October 1st, the paper tax disc will no longer need to be displayed on your vehicle windscreen (or motorcycle holder) ending a ruling first established in 1921. Due to the centralised electronic vehicle register being updated with those drivers who have paid, Police will no longer have the need to manually check discs as they can fully rely on this database through a simple number plate registration search. Some things will still remain the same, including the need to purchase road tax, the band your vehicle is attributed to and the renewal reminder sent by the DVLA when you tax is due in the form of a V11 or a V85/1 (whether this be annually or every 6 months). For those drivers who have a few months left on their current tax after the 1st October, the disc can be removed and destroyed. 



How Can I Purchase My Vehicle Tax?

Methods of purchase still remain the same, with three options still provided; online, by phone or at the Post Office. Alternatively a direct debit can be set up from the 1st November. As a useful reminder, you can check whether a vehicle is taxed through the DVLA’s free online vehicle enquiry service, similar to the register used by the Police. Perhaps the quickest and easiest way to tax your vehicle is online using the 16 digit reference number located in your log book.

What Happens When I Buy / Sell My Vehicle?

If you sell your vehicle after 1st October, it is handy to inform the DVLA straight away as they will refund for any full calendar month left on the tax. This provides another reason to keep the registered address up to date as any refund is sent here.

When buying your next car, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle, meaning a new tax disc will have to be purchased. You can sort this through using the New Keeper Supplement (VC5/2), the Vehicle Registration Number, online, by phone or at the Post Office.

Vehicle Tax Refunds

A separate application for a tax refund is no longer needed to be submitted as the DVLA will issue a refund on notification when:

·  The vehicle has been sold, exported or scrapped

·  It has been removed from the road or registered as SORN

·  The person on the vehicle register has changed the tax class of the vehicle to exempt

For more information on the new tax disc process contact a member of the Howards team at your local dealership

  • Receive our latest news and offers:
    Don’t worry we won’t bombard you with emails and you can refine your preferences at any time.

Reputation Reviews
  • Howard Garages (Weston) Ltd is an Appointed Representative of Automotive Compliance Ltd, who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA No 497010). Automotive Compliance Ltd’s permissions as a Principal Firm allows Howard Garages (Weston) Ltd to act as a credit broker, not as a lender, for the introduction to a limited number of lenders and to act as an agent on behalf of the insurer for insurance distribution activities only. Company Number: 1108986

    We can introduce you to a selected panel of lenders, which includes manufacturer lenders linked directly to the franchises that we represent. An introduction to a lender does not amount to independent financial advice and we act as their agent for this introduction. Our approach is to introduce you first to the manufacturer lender linked directly to the particular franchise you are purchasing your vehicle from, who are usually able to offer the best available package for you, taking into account both interest rates and other contributions. If they are unable to make you an offer of finance, we then seek to introduce you to whichever of the other lenders on our panel is able to make the next best offer of finance for you. Our aim is to secure the best deal you are eligible for from our panel of lenders. Lenders may pay a fixed commission to us for introducing you to them, calculated by reference to the vehicle model or amount you borrow. Different lenders may pay different commissions for such introductions, and manufacturer lenders linked directly to the franchises that we represent may also provide preferential rates to us for the funding of our vehicle stock and also provide financial support for our training and marketing. But any such amounts they and other lenders pay us will not affect the amounts you pay under your finance agreement, all of which are set by the lender concerned. If you ask us what the amount of commission is, we will tell you in good time before the Finance agreement is executed. All finance applications are subject to status, terms and conditions apply, UK residents only, 18’s or over. Guarantees may be required.